Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mix it up and Mash it Up


We decided to do a spin on your average mashed potatoes and make some mashed cauliflower.  I went to the Santa Barbara farmer's market and they had the most beautiful cauliflower heads, and I had been wanting to try to change up my usual roasted cauliflower, so I thought I would try this out.  It takes a LOT less time and has much fewer calories than mashed potatoes, but tastes just as good, in my opinion better!

Mashed Cauliflower

1 Medium cauliflower head
1 Tablespoon of low fat cream cheese (I used chive and onion, but you can use any type)
1/3 buillon cube
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves minced garlic 
3 Tablespoons of butter
Chives

Break up cauliflower into small pieces and boil it for about 6-7 minutes until it is very soft. Drain the cauliflower and dry it between paper towels.  Mix in all the ingredients, and use an immersion blender or food processor to mash it, then serve!

What did I tell you? Easiest recipe ever? For a few varieties you can switch up the cream cheese for fat free cream, or roast the garlic.  If you think it doesn't taste enough like mashed potatoes you can add either some potato flakes or some actual real cooked potatoes.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brittany, I agree with you. I liked mashed cauliflower better than potatoes too. You could have served it at your flower power party :)

    ReplyDelete